Earlier this year, Scott Edelman posted a map that may or may not have informed this cover that Marie Severin drew for Marvel’s in-house “fanzine” FOOM (Friends of Ol’ Marvel)
There’s some fun anecdotes about the Marvel Bullpen at the time, as well as an anecdote about letterer Morrie Kuramoto that makes me wish I could have known the man in real life:
Each Pearl Harbor Day (holidays, I should point out, which were much closer to the actual event than they are now), Morrie would come to work wearing a leather aviator’s cap. And during the workday, while sitting at his drawing board, he’d toss paper airplanes at his coworkers and anyone else who happened to pass by.
And while doing so, he would, of course, shout “Banzai!”
It’s funny because it’s terrible :D! (Also, according to Jim Shooter, Morrie served in Italy in the US Army during WWII)
There’s also pictures of other ladies in the Marvel bullpen, including admin Mary McPherran (whose name inspired that of villainess Titiania), colorist Janice Cohen, and production designer Marcia Gloster.
I love all blasts from the comics past like this!
- ettubruteh likes this
- arlopear reblogged this from ladiesmakingcomics
- miscella likes this
- princess-soysauce likes this
- x-beni-o2-x likes this
- iwillnothangmyselftoday likes this
- onionhighonionandrenown likes this
- inkydavid reblogged this from ladiesmakingcomics
- inkydavid likes this
- jadinerhine likes this
- with-boots reblogged this from ladiesmakingcomics
- beyondthespheres likes this
- justanopeningact likes this
- ladiesmakingcomics posted this